Nelvana was a demi-goddess, the daughter of King Koliak and a mortal. She became the protector of the Inuit people aided by her brother Tanero using their abilities to protect the Inuits from threats such as the Axis powers or aliens. She had a brother, Tanero.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Nelvana could fly, travel at the speed of light, become invisible, control the weather, change form, telepathically speak with her brother, and call upon other powers of the Northern Lights such as Koliak's powerful ray. The ray could melt metal or disrupt radio communications. She could also use her magic cloak to change into human form from light form. Nelvana was also seemingly immortal.
- Commander Toroff
- Adolf Hitler
- One-Ear Brunner
- The Queen of Statica
- The Crime King
- Dr. Electra
- Chicago Sade
Golden Age Appearances Edit
- Triumph–Adventure–Comics #1-6
- Triumph Comics #7-31
- Nelvana of The Northern Lights #1 (pictured left)
- Super Duper Comics #3
- Nelvana was the third original Canadian-created superhero after Iron Man (Maple Leaf Publishing's Better Comics #1, March 1941) and Freelance (Anglo-American Publishing's Freelance Comics #1, July 1941), and the first original Canadian female superhero.
- For Moonstone Books' 2010 mini-series, Johnny Canuck and the Guardians of the North, the character was re-named Nanook.
- Nelvana of the Northern Lights stories from the original comic books were republished by Hope Nicholson and Rachel Richey in 2014 through the help of a successful Kickstarter campaign.
See Also Edit
- Read Super Duper at Fury Comics
- International Hero
- Golden Age Heroes Directory
- Hero Goggles
- Guardians of the North
- Nelvana at Jungle Frolics
- Summary of Nelvana stories
- Know Thy History: Nelvana of the Northern Lights
- Invaders from the North: How Canada Conquered the Comic Book Universe
- Comic Book Daily
- Comic Vine
- Saving Nelvana: The search for Canada’s first female superhero