Crack Western #82 (Jan. 1953)
Joe Millard, Charles Sultan
Bush Peters, having been spurned by Two-Gun Lil when he advances for a kiss, manages to grab her handkerchief when she pushes him into the street. Later, he and his henchmen discover a scene between Sandy Jones, who is wanted by the law, and Rita. The gang watches surreptitiously as Sandy swears he will go straight, marry Rita, and buy a ranch.
Bush's gang follows Sandy, and Bush kills him. He places the cloth from Two-Gun Lil in Bush's hand. The next morning, he shows Rita the scene, convincing her that Lil killed her paramour and she ought to get revenge.
Rita goes to town with a pistol and tries to shoot Lil. She runs dry of ammo. Lil figures out it was Bush who placed the piece from the dress in Sandy's hand. A cowboy rushes up to tell Lil the bank is being robbed.
Two-Gun Lil goes to the scene, killing Bush's two cohorts. Bush hides behind a door and shoots at her. He misses, and doesn't get a second chance as Lil drops him with a bullet.
Rita apologizes profusely to Two-Gun Lil, saying she wouldn't want to kill the wrong person. Lil says Rita learned a valuable lesson.
The story from Crack Western #82 was reprinted in Apache Trail #2 with the following notable differences.
- Two-Gun Lil is named Missy Lil Peters.
- Rita Adams is purportedly Lil's sister.
- One of the gang says he can't tell if it's "Lil Adams" kissing Sandy, showing the family name is Adams.
- Bush takes a handkerchief from Lil, not a piece from her dress.
- * They have a brother named George Adams.
- George has left Lil in charge of the town as 'boss lady' in his absence.
- Neither Lil nor Rita have guns, except on the last page when Lil tells Bush she is armed.
- Bush Peters asks Sandy Jones to surrender first, instead of killing him Bush forces Sandy to play dead when Rita comes riding up. Sandy plays dead as demanded by Bush. Bush convinces Rita it was Lil who did the killing of Sandy.
- Rita confronts Lil in town without a gun, Lil figuring out it was Bush the placed the kerchief.
- A cowboy tells Lil of the bank robbery, telling Bush's cohorts to stay where they are.
- Bush Peters attempts to shoot Lil, but her brother George Adams has returned and shoots Bush first out-of-picture.
- Lil says Sandy, who survives in this iteration, will pay for his crimes through the legal system.
- In the last panel, a picture of previous;y-unidentified bystander is identified as George.
- George smiles at his sisters as they reconcile.
- George says, "One big happy family."
Public Domain Appearances
- Crack Western #82, Apache Trail #2
- Crack Western #82 at Digital Comic Museum